Monday, February 23, 2009

Hurray for Pancakes!

It's Pancake Day tomorrow and I'm ready! Got the lemon juice ready to squirt folks. As a child I never knew it was pancake day till I got home from school and mum had the kitchen all ready, then me and my sister would get so excited. I loved them so much I was always convinced I could eat ten, when I fact I'd be stuffed and holding my belly groaning after two. I want to start the same tradition here with my boys, even though it isn't really done in the USA. 

We did go to a Mardi Gras party last Saturday and I know here (especially in the south) they call Shrove Tuesday "Fat Tuesday". So once again with the UK and USA, we sort of have the same traditions, but not quite.  And the English pancakes are completely different to American ones. Not sure why.  Anyway, back to the party last Saturday - it was great bar two things: we had to leave early to get kids to bed and avoid the ice storm, and I was horrified because Danny threw up all over one of the guests. In my defense I did warn her that he chucked-up a lot and discouraged her from picking him up but she insisted. After about 10 minutes of her rocking him and me holding my breath he spat up a bit and she said "oh, he did spit up!".  As I reached over to get a cloth and get him from her he launched a huge one, splattering it all over her black pants and nice shirt. She was such a good sport about it but Oh My God, how mortifying. 
So, I learnt a lesson here - no matter how much people ask to hold Danny right now I'm going to do my best to put them off without causing offense. I don't want friends covered in spit-up and I don't want Danny catching a cold.  


4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Michael spits up on the physical therapist all the time!

I'm intrigued by English pancakes - can you share a recipe?

Pam said...

Kelsey: English pancakes are served very thin, sprinkled with lemon juice & sugar and rolled up. Here's the recipe: 1.75 cups flour, salt, 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, grated rind lemon, 3 tps melted butter, & oil for frying. Lemon juice & sugar to sprinkle on top. Add it all together to make a batter & refrigerate for an hour. Use a small amount of batter in a very hot pan, flip once. Once cooked, sprinkle with lemon & sugar and roll up. Delicious!!

mountainear said...

Pancakes for us tonight too - all those eggs to use up. I might use your recipe which uses more eggs than mine. (I use one egg to a half pint of milk) Lyles Golden Syrup and lemon juice on ours.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Have to admit to laughing about Danny throwing up all over insistent guest - sorry for you and him though. Do hope he is OK.

Good to hear you enjoyed the pancakes. We were staying with daughter in Stratford on Avon (got back this morning) and she made us all some pancakes - lovely for me to have them made for me! A x