Monday, December 15, 2008

Look at My Lovely Baubles!

There are several American traditions that I have picked up and run with since I got here. I embrace the following with tremendous gusto: Halloween, Thanksgiving, July 4th, observing flag-raising and marching bands at football games, and "showers" in all their abundance - wedding, bridal, baby. When I first got to Ohio, all this would have been considered too glitzy for me, given that Brits are somewhat reserved in nature. But over the years I have gone from testing the water, to a bit of paddling and finally just said "sod it", jumped in with both feet and joined in. There are still a couple of things I'll never do: I promise I'll never clap at the end of a movie or shout "yeahhh!" at the end of a fairground ride. For one, Craig would leave me. Second, most Americans I know don't do this either and are equally mortified by such behaviour.

Anyway, one of my favourite American traditions is decorating the Christmas tree with personal and historic ornaments. Unless things have changed (and maybe they have) this isn't something we did in England. Our ornaments were made up of baubles and tinsel and a star, but we didn't really have ornaments that were family heirlooms. There are friends here who've got ornaments on their tree from when they were first born, which I think is such a lovely thing to do that I have started doing it myself. The picture on the left is a little collage of my personal ornaments so far - given by family and friends and lovingly packed away each new year and brought out each Christmas. This year I'm also going to take Jack to Hallmark and let him pick one out for himself and Danny. Am I being twee? Sorry, but as they say "when in Rome ..."

5 comments:

Fredsueand me said...

your not mad pam we collect tree decs too. we usually buy one really nice one every year and have special noah ones too. dont know about the flags though, there is a quote in a book i love by banksy the graffiti artist about flag waving but it would probebly offend your readers so will tell you next time i talk to you.
anyway have a happy run up to christmas talk soon. x x x

Mimi said...

Pam, each year our kids have gotten a new Christmas ornament that represented something about the past year. We've had soccer balls and skiing snowmen, pianos, airplanes, etc. This year our son, Andy (age 23) got a deer holding a rifle and a sign that said "People Season." (He hit a deer several months ago--and this way he'll never forget that incident) As each one moves out they take their "collection" with them to decorate their own tree. Jack and Danny will have lots of memories if you keep this tradition going. Of course, there is nothing wrong with you and Craig collecting a few along the
way also. Happy hunting.

mountainear said...

Re clapping at the end of movies: (films Pam, films.) the audience clapped at the end of Mama Mia when it was shown a couple of weeks ago in our village hall.

Pam said...

Hey-up Lee, Glad to hear you guys have gone mushy too. XXX

Mimi: It's funny, because I follow your family blogs I pictured Andy even though I don't know him. I hope it's something that becomes a tradition.

Hi Mountainear: Sorry, films. At least I didn't say movie theatre! The clapping is definitely cringe-worthy but who knows. I might succumb in my old age :-)

Emily said...

I like reading your blogs because you point out things that I had no idea were "American traditions". Does that make me ignorant? Hmmmm...don't answer that. :)