Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Day was Fabulous - hope yours was too.

On Christmas Eve Jack spent a good deal of time looking out of the window trying to see Santa in the sky, then he left out a glass of milk, sprinkled a few carrots on the lawn & eventually went to bed, trying every excuse in the book to stay up. I drank the milk and Craig went outside in the freezing rain to retrieve carrots, even though I tried to persuade him that the squirrels would eat them. I know bugger all about squirrels but it seems plausible doesn't it?

Christmas morning we told Jack that Santa had been and he ran from his bedroom in his pyjamas, wide-eyed and with a crazy bed-head. He noticed the milk had gone and then saw his bike and said "ohhhhhhh!" like it was the best thing in the world. His first words were: "get Santa more milk?", which doesn't surprise me as our boy is a little sweetheart. Then he ripped the wrapping paper off, jumped on, immediately fell off & clambered back on again.

Here's a 40-second video of his first venture out:



As for me and Craig - we're exhausted, which comes from amusing a toddler for two whole days indoors due to bad weather. To keep sane, Craig's been looking at cross-bows on Craigslist with the view that bow season is much longer than shooting season, so gives him more chances to snag a deer. He's also been playing a bit of "Grand Theft Auto IV, my gift to him.

I've read two really great books over the holidays, both by Mark Haddon: A Spot of Bother and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. The latter, while a great read, has educated me about autism more than I thought possible and it's made me very sad because I can't fathom having a child that would not let me hug them, or kiss them or joke with them. If I ever do come into contact with a person with autism I feel a bit more prepared now though, unless of course Mark Haddon made it all up and now I have an idiotic view on the whole subject.

We've also watched two new films - one was fabulous and typical Clint Eastwood (Grand Turino), and the other one was an absolute stinker from hell (Will Smith in Seven Pounds).


All in all a great Christmas then, with lots of traits of Old Blighty (crackers with hats at dinner, Christmas puds, queens' speech and English chocolate), some Americana (egg-nogg, cranberry sauce with the turkey, watching "A Christmas Story") and lots of amusing behaviour from our toddler, including hysterics at the dinner table when his dad got a whoopie cushion in his cracker and then tried to blame the noises it made on me.

4 comments:

mountainear said...

We had a great day too - my boys are men but it was still good to see them open presents and tuck into Christmas Dinner.

Looks like Jack got the bike of his dreams!

Clippy Mat said...

ahh bless. he looks so cute on his bike.
i loved both of those books by mark haddon and i would have to say my experiences with people with autism have not been totally unalike the boy in a curious incident; although each person with autism is unique of course.
really? is that will smith movie that bad? i have seen the clips for it and wondered what the heck it was about. i'll give that one a miss then. i'm really hard to please when it comes to movies. we just watched run fat boy run. it had some good laugh out loud moments.
some scenes from 'a christmas story' were filmed here in the city where i live when we first came to canada in the early 80's.

Stinking Billy said...

pam, well, you definitely have an English accent, but I am not able to place it from the couple of quick snatches. Is Craig American?

Pam said...

Hello Mountainear: Your day sounds lovely and I'm glad you got to spend it with your grown boys.

Hey Clippy: What scenes were in Christmas Story I wonder? It is one of my absolute favourites.

Hi Billy: I'm from Scarisbrick - a village near Southport in the NW of England. My hubby's from Warrington.