Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easing into Day Care

Danny started day-care this week, just a few hours a day so that he (I) can adjust to it and not get separated from each other cold-turkey next week. Where has 12 weeks gone? My maternity leave has flown by so fast it feels unreal. In Europe they are off for months which sounds glorious to me because as much as I could definitely not be a stay-at-home mum, 12 weeks does seem a bit too harsh. I met a woman in the nursing room at the zoo last weekend and we chatted about being home with babies. She assumed I had to go back to work due to finances and I didn't correct her and tell her it would still be my choice, even if we did have the money. I absolutely love my job, my career, and can't imagine ever walking away from it.

Also, Jack has thrived in day-care doing all kinds of fun stuff and making lots of friends. I'm convinced the day-care environment has made him as confident and smart and generous as he is. A bit too confident actually. Phew. He is 110% from sunrise to the moment he finally conks out after using up all his excuses to stay awake (I need more stories/a poo/wee/water/hug/kiss from daddy/kiss from mummy/kiss from Cody/kiss from Frankie/poo/wee/water/cow torch/light on/light/off/kiss from mummy/mum to stroke my hair/kiss from daddy/wee/water).

So back to day care - I feel good about sharing Danny, so far. I really like and trust his care givers and I know Craig and I can go anytime we want to check on him. I did feel a bit jealous today though when they told me he was giggling and laughing with them and tonight I made him stare at my face for a long time, so he doesn't forget who his mummy is.

Jack loves it now that Danny is at school with him and spent all day yesterday in the nursery, even sleeping next to him. That's why I love this day-care, they treat each kid how he needs to be treated at that moment in time. This morning though we had to jimmy him out of the nursery, back into the toddler room with his friends. All the kids love "baby Danny" and rush to see him, so he's not going to be short on cuddles.

Being in the house today without either of my kids is weird in so many ways: I still rush rush rush to do something in case one of them wants something, I keep thinking I can hear them both on the baby monitor, I still tip-toe around so as not to wake them from naps. Reading this back now I think it's obvious I'm going a bit bonkers.


Lastly, & totally unrelated - I know this is going to get very boring for you all but continues to fascinate me. Here's the two boys at the same age again. I keep thinking that maybe they don't look alike, until I do this ...

2 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Yes Pam - they are alike. You have a couple of lovely boys there. It's good too that you are able to leave them both with a trusted nursery and Jack will be so proud of his baby brother. Can imagine how you feel but it will be good for all of you.

Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my "birthday" post. A x

Clippy Mat said...

that's great that you have such a wonderful environment for both kids. now you can go back to work with a lighter step. :-)