Friday, April 10, 2009

Our Man "G"

The day we got the keys to this house we were so excited that we grabbed the blow-up airbed and a couple of sleeping bags from the old house and slept in the basement. Our basement isn't a dark & dingy serial-killer dungeon, it's a nice big room with a 12-foot window. Anyway, in the early hours of the morning I woke up and laid there, feeling excited to get moved in and feeling happy about life and then I swear I saw the figure of a man stood at the end of the room. I can't be specific about his features because I just saw a manly shadow. Since then we've had several experiences: strange noises, things being moved, cupboard drawers opened and Cody once freaked out and wouldn't come in the house. Now if Jack ever says "Mummy, there's a scary man in my wardrobe" then we are moving to Australia ( after I've washed my underwear)

We know who this man is because he lived here for 50 years and raised his family. I'm going to call him "G". Neighbours tell me he was a lovely man that adored his family, served his country then went on to be one of the most beloved and respected teachers in Ohio, writing a book about teaching. He loved his wife so much that after her death he fell absolutely and utterly apart and never left the house until he died two years later. He hunkered down in here and smoked himself to death which is very sad but this seems common, where a spouse will give up and want to go too, once the love of their life has departed. Even though he had no interest, neighbours mowed the grass, pruned shrubs, baked pies and kept him going the best they could until he joined his beloved wife.

When we closed on the house we had to sit at the table with the attorneys and the previous owner, which was G's daughter. She tried to make it a happy experience for us but she cried a lot because she had loved this house. We do too. And G obviously does not want to leave.

If truth be told, I'm 97% convinced ghosts don't exist. Craig just told me he's 100% ghost do exist. He's scared of ghosts but like most women I know, I'm scared of real-life nutcase men. The good thing about G's presence is that he seems to be a friendly ghost so this house has a great aura. Having a ghost in the house also gives us (Craig) the perfect excuse for every occasion:

Did you lose my keys? "G must have moved them"
That fart stinks! "It was G"

etc etc etc ...

5 comments:

MikeH said...

I had a girlfriend once who lived in a haunted house. Great conversation starter, that. Glad to hear G is friendly, like Caspar ;)

mountainear said...

Sounds like quite a benign presence.

We used to live near the site of a Civil War battle, Edge Hill, which was then an Army camp. It was a very restricted area - not even marked as such on the Ordnance Survey maps. The battle had been a bloody one and the site was allegedly a very haunted place. I've been told that there were parts of the Camp that the Army guard dogs would never go near. Just the thought of that spooks me.

Oma Froehle said...

I never thought about ghosts here, but it sure would explain a lot of things. I wouldn't mind as long as he picks up after himself. :-)

Pam said...

Hi Mike: I think we all secretly like the idea, even if it scares us to death!
Hi Mountainear: Sounds spooky to me too. Did you even visit Culloden Moor in Scotland? Equally erie and sad.
Hi Oma! He's not been too much of a pest so far, does like to leave drawers and cupboards open though (or is that me?)

Clippy Mat said...

I would've packed up and moved that very minute!! never mind how friendly G is. shouldn't he be in heaven or somewhere else?
;-)