Thursday, April 30, 2015

Far From The Madding Crowd

In 1985 I read "Far from the madding crowd" for my English Literature O'Level (30 years ago!!!). I loved the book but my teacher dragged it out by scrutinizing every single part (I suppose that's their job) so I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. The night before my O'level exam, by sheer coincidence, the film was on TV. It was the 1967 version with Julie Christie and I sat GLUED to the telly, not just because I knew my exam was the next day but also because I loved the story.

Anyway, about half way through the film the meter went out on our telly and it turned off. My mum gave me a couple of pound notes to run to the neighbors and get some 50ps so I could put them in the meter and keep watching the film. I remember this moment so vividly it feels like yesterday.

Tonight I went with my girl friends & Brit group to a pre-screening of the new film and I couldn't wait to see it. It brings back memories of my fabulous childhood & reading books that I loved. It was a great film. I actually think it's better than the original  - probably because the old version is dated and got funky background music. And I liked Gabriel's character a lot in this film, but still prefer Julie Christie as Bathsheba. It's hard to replace Julie Christie hey.


No comments: