Sunday, June 13, 2010

Goodbye Frank

We got home today and we buried Frank in the garden and sprinkled poppy seeds on top. We both cried as we said goodbye to our boy. I know to some people it might seem silly to grieve over a cat but he was our first pet, our first "baby" and we had him eleven years.

I have two regrets. I'm sorry for all the times I told him to stop meowing & to get from under my feet when I was flustered with the kids. Looking back now he was just trying to hang out with me and talk to me like he always did. I'm also heartbroken that last Friday, as we left for vacation, I didn't say goodbye and now I'll never get the chance to. I should have scooped him up and tickled his chin, like he loved. But I never in a million years thought he wouldn't be here when I got back.

We told Jack because he kept asking where Frank was. He's taken it okay but keeps asking why he died and where he is, over and over. I think the fact that I was crying so much upset him too but he'll be okay. We didn't let him be part of the ceremony though. That was too hard even for me and Craig.

I want to just tell one of my favorite Frank stories. Many years ago he caught a bird and I got it off him. Craig threw it in the air to help it get away and it flew into next door's window and crashed to the ground, right in front of next door's cat, who got him between his jaws and ran off with him. Frank looked up at Craig and his face said it all "Oh just great, thanks for that dad".

RIP our gorgeous boy. We'll miss you very much


Frank 1999-2010

No comments: