Monday, April 25, 2016

The Great Outdoors

Boy Scouts has probably been one of the best things we've ever done. It's hard work (Craig is committee chair and I'm communications chair), but it means we get to spend a lot of time together as a family, usually outside.

I see Facebook posts come across my feed sometimes about the horrendous lives of youth today, spending all their time indoors playing videos games and being lazy and not knowing where a carrot comes from,  but I don't think that's necessarily true. My kids and my friends' kids are always outside, messing about in the woods, making dens, playing Nerf wars or hanging on the monkey bars. I think kids want to be outside, some of them just don't get that opportunity.

So we've had a few weeks of outdoorsy stuff; soccer, zoo trips, horse riding, fishing and hiking. I have also finally got round to banning electronics Monday-Thursday since school work has ramped up so much.The school work and testing is far far too much for elementary school children.  Teachers and parents alike say it - so who is making these terrible decisions to test the hell out of these kids? Whoever they are, they are destroying our young people's creativity and fun. Okay, off my soap box.

Here's to a summer filled with more of these types of things.....









No comments: