Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Snow Storms & Man Trees

It snowed today! Then snowed and snowed and snowed ..

The drive home from work was a bit hairy. I took this picture on the freeway but don't worry about safety - I was stopped at the time so I could re-balance my coffee cup, tune in my radio and call Craig on my mobile

Got home, wrapped up and ventured out before sunset at 5.30pm. The evening was so pretty and deathly quiet like it is when there's a blanket of snow everywhere.

The snicket near our house. I love the snicket for many reasons - I can let Cody off his lead to chase squirrels, there is a fantastic lightshow of fireflies down there each summer, there's a secret rock where two star-crossed lovers leave notes for each other (we did read one once but it was cryptic so we stuffed it back in the envelope and put it back on the rock), and there's some neighbours with a fabulous garden that I can stand and chat with about plants.

Jack loved sledding tonight. He didn't remember a thing about last years adventure but certainly got into it again this year

My neighbour's tree. Must be the 5th time I've posted a picture of it but it's quite the celebrity tree in our little part of town and I feel very lucky to get to see it from my kitchen window every night. Takes Dave about 5 weeks to put the lights up and constitutes him teetering on a 30 ft. ladder with a big pole. He's out there in freezing weather, radio on, listening to local sports and smoking his cigar. Sometimes he'll crack open a cold beer too. I think Craig secretly wishes he had a "man tree" that was all his own, that he could escape to.

And lastly, a short video (34 secs) of our lad sledding and poor Craig lugging him back up the hill for the 20th time. I know these videos are a fantastic bore, like looking at holiday photos or baby pictures, but I post them on here for his English grandparents, who are missing these moments and want to see him "in action". Of course bloggy friends who want can watch them too:


8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, Pam, that is CLASSIC!! And you are better parents than I. Katy wanted to play outside all day, but it was too cold for my taste (especially to have to bundle David up). And by the time Brian got home it was almost dark. Poor girl. She's DYING to use her new Christmas sled.

Pam said...

LOL you could have told me i was almost tipping him out on each trip back up the hill

Clippy Mat said...

It's freezing here and I'm not venturing out in that cold. but I admire you for taking Jack out and letting him enjoy that sled.
That tree is a work of art.
I would like to see that form My kitchen window.
:-)

Mommy Daisy said...

I'm with Emily, too cold for us to go out. But that looked like so much fun.

I'm a bit jealous. Zachariah has that sled, but he barely fit in it last year (looks about how Jack fit). And he's so much taller this year. I bet his feet would hang completely off. We'll have to find something new. That strap was great on that one.

Pam said...

The first "Pam" comment was posted by my hubby who was unaware of his child manhandling. I love that Jack shouts "I'm okay momma!" as he's tipped backwards...

Hey Emily: Bring Katy over - the little hill behind our house is ideal!

Hi Clippy: Did you have to go to work again in that snow storm??

Hi Mommy Daisy: We decided to get a big sled that we can jump on with him. Will watch your blog to see what you get for Zachariah.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Fantastic - how lovely for your folks to be able to see Jack sledding too. He certainly looked as though he was having a good time. The tree is lovely and I like the sound of your "snicket"! A x

dad&sheila said...

Hi pam how we laughed and cried seeing jack reassuring you that he was ok. please could you e-mail us the clip so we can save it on our photo gallery? love you sheila xxx

Pam said...

Hiya Anne: Snicket is such a good descriptive word for a place like that isn't it?

Hiya dad & Sheila: Will email you tomorrow. Not long now till you see him (and the new one!)
XXXXXXX