Friday, January 30, 2009

Hospital Update

Some of you might think I'm a bit nuts, blogging and going on Facebook while I'm here at the hospital but it's keeping me sane and I really want to keep family & friends up-to-date. In the old days new mums probably spent this time washing cloth diapers and knitting mittens. Most were probably home by now too but they'll keep me here till tomorrow because of the surgery.
Danny is in the nursery right now - I waved the white flag about 4am this morning and the nurse took him, to give me a longer sleep than 2 hours. I felt so guilty but ohhhh, so in need of some sleep and I've been in quite a bit of pain too, seeing as I really over-did it yesterday (sorry mum, never could rest).
So what's planned for today?
  • Well, I just took a shower and then blow-dried my c-section wound.
  • My milk will probably come in today or tomorrow and I'm bottle feeding, so all instructions tell me to avoid touching my chest area unless I want severely painful engorged boobs. Here's what I do to try and avoid it - no hot water from the shower, don't touch them. Probably not a good idea even to look at them. Wear a sports bra. If they still hurt, wrap them in cabbage leaves for 48 hours. Ahem, what? Cabbage leaves? Wonder why?
  • Jack's back in child care so Craig will be coming to spend the day with me and Danny. Wonderful. Yesterday all the kids from child care made cards for us. I'm going to make them into a collage and take a picture later.
  • More visitors hopefully. We had about 20 yesterday which was great and I feel so spoiled. I'll post visitor pictures later.
  • Enjoy this time because when I go home it'll be bonkers and I'll certainly not be blogging or Facebooking for a while! Right now I'm living in a luxury private room with all my needs met. This whole experience will cost my insurance company about $16,000. What's even more amazing is that my portion of the whole cost will be a flat-fee of $350 because my health insurance is so good. Question - How on earth do people without health insurance have babies???
That's it for now. I'm going to toddle off and find a cup of tea*. For those of you that don't like too much graphic information, stop reading now ..
* I passed wind last night!!!!!! This means that after 2 days of beef broth and Jello I can now eat and drink like a normal person. Hurrah!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Isn't health insurance wonderful? After Emmy was born and she was in the NICU for 4 days, our bill came to a whopping $20. What a blessing! Enjoy your "time off"...can't wait to see more pics.

P.S. Add me as a friend on facebook (Jennifer Curley) =)

Stinking Billy said...

pam, this might sound a bit funny, but I have been sooo with you - in spirit. x

Clippy Mat said...

thank goodness for gas! LOL
sounds like everything is going well and you are getting some rest. the best thing about being in the hospital is the room service. make the most of it. did you send Craig for the cabbage yet? :-))

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Cabbage leaves - that's a new one! Hope they worked. Can just imagine too the relief of passing that gas!! Hope you are relaxing as much as possible now.

Lovely photo of your 3 lads together Pam. A x

Oma Froehle said...

Pam:

Last night we talked to Katy on Skype, and she was showing off her big girl bed. I asked her if she had seen Jack's new baby brother. She said, "Yea!" I said, "What's his name?" And Katy said, "Broccoli!" We howled laughing! I said, "I think his name is Danny!" But I thought you'd enjoy knowing that your baby already has a nickname!