Monday, January 19, 2009

The End of MLK Weekend & I'm Knackered!

It's the end of the long weekend (it was Martin Luther King Day today) and I'm ready to get back to work tomorrow.

Entertaining Jack for 3 days has been fun but exhausting now that I'm the size of a woolly mammoth. We took him to a play area today at the local mall but I only lasted an hour, what with a gazillion screaming kids and some parents that need a good slap. I have a sneaking suspicion some parents dump their kids and run off to shop too. At one point I called some of the kids savages (to Craig of course, not to their faces, tempted as I was).

It's the inauguration tomorrow (hurrah!) so I've spent my time in the kitchen tonight getting ready for the festivities. We've got a party tomorrow at work so I made little egg triangular sarnies - typically English and they always go down a treat. I've also made a batch of chocolate cup-cakes for Jack to take to day-care as a treat. Don't I sound American? Baking cup-cakes! My English friends will think the real Pam has been abducted by aliens seeing as I used to spend my evenings drinking wine and talking bollocks. Talking of which, the picture at the top is of a t-shirt I got from Char & Jan, which is going to be packed into my hospital bag.

Well folks, baby number two will be here before the end of the month. People have gone from asking questions and being friendly to looking downright scared in my presence. You can see them thinking "please don't go into labour while I'm in this elevator with you!"

Lastly, I have 3 blog-related things to share this week: Clippy May tagged me with the letter "H" which I will respond to in the next few days, Strawberry Jam Anne gave me an award that I will pass along this week, and two great people in the blogosphere, ExpatMum & Mike H, will be doing a BBC Radio 5 interview about living in the UK versus the USA, which I will try and link to later in the week. I can't wait to listen to it - Mike is American living in the UK and Expat is English living in Chicago. Should be interesting!

4 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Hi Pam - sounds as though you are getting yourself organised. I shall be watching the inaugeration of your new President on TV today as well. Looking forward to it.

Your post made me laugh too and uncannily you sounded exactly like my daughter. She would love your T-shirt too.

A x

Clippy Mat said...

maybe you will be using your "h" to say "hello" to danny boy. i bet you are really excited and can't wait for it all to be over.
thanks for the reminder about that radio segment. i want to listen and had forgotten it was tonight.
:-)

Pam said...

Hi Anne: Thought his speech was okay - did you? Poor man has a horrible job to do.

Clippy: I hope he stays put for another week but can't wait to meet him. Did you listen to the radio thingy? I did, it was a bit more serious than I thought but some funny points. I like both of them so it was nice to hear their voices.

Clippy Mat said...

yep i listened to the radio thingy. it was good wasn't it? i would never have been so poised and interesting under that pressure would you?
;-)