Saturday, November 05, 2011

Fidget Pie - Yummy!

Tonight we went to an expat Bonfire night with 30 other Brits and it was great. We met people from the north and south of England (south mainly - something to mull over later about why). The host is a fabulous lady called Maureen that I really like and we keep promising each other that we'll get together but never do. Anyway, we had to take regional food to this party and I baked (YES I did) Lancashire Parkin. And it was popular! Maybe I'm not such a crap cook.


The other English food included:
  • Fidget Pie - which I have never had before but absolutely loved! From Sussex apparantly.
  • Toad in the hole - including mini toad in the holes as cupcakes!
  • Apple crumble
  • Sausage rolls
  • Pasties
  • Trifle
  • Cottage pie & shepherd's pie
  • Samosas and bombay mix
  • Scotch eggs
  • Quality Street chocolates
  • Cheshire cheese & crackers
Highlight of the night? More great Brits as friends.
Low of the night? Crazy pretend-British people that I want to strangle. Like the crazy woman that has now introduced herself to me by 3 different names in the last year. She is from the Caribbean and as mad as a bloody hatter - and not in a funny way. Her daughter was equally nuts and has called her 9 month old daughter "On a Journey". Not kidding. Crazy bastards.

Other than the crazies that are obviously drawn to British meet up groups for some reason, I had a great time tonight. All the adults were great with the boys and it was fab to talk about the homeland that we all miss. And the really good thing is that clocks go back tonight so I get an extra hours sleep. Woo hoo!

No comments: