Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Cheeky Chaplain

We went for an ultrasound on Tuesday morning to see what was going on with Danny's relentless throwing-up and they determined straight away that he did indeed have pyloric stenosis. The ultrasound was amazing - the nurse showed me the muscle in his stomach that was blocking the passageway from his stomach to his small intestine and it was so obvious why he couldn't digest any food. I was both relieved and nervous at the thought of surgery so I tried to talk with the nurse about it but she was busy telling me how much she liked my accent and where she's been to in England. This is par for the course wherever I go and I usually find it a huge compliment but sometimes it gets in the way, like this time. Anyway, she finally let me go and by that afternoon they had us checked into Nationwide Children's Hospital.

At hospital admissions I was in the queue with a woman who's daughter was about 8 years old and in a wheelchair. Her head was bald and she had a big red scar that ran from ear to ear, over the top of her head. I felt really bad for her but she was such a trooper, reading a comic book and laughing. It certainly put our Danny's problem into perspective. I also met a woman who had two kids there on different floors and she spent her days going up and down the lift so she could be with both of them. What a nightmare.

Tuesday night they took Danny into surgery and did keyhole surgery on his belly. Craig and I sat in the waiting room and stared intently at the telly screen that shows you what stage the surgery is at. Next to another telly there was a big sign asking parents not to watch programs in the waiting room that might upset other people and it specifically cited Jerry Springer. Makes you wonder what kind of parents would want to watch Jerry Springer while their child was in surgery.

I spent the night in Danny's room while Craig came home and saw to Jack. I have to say, the night wasn't a joyful experience. I had a tiny plastic pull-out bed that squeaked when I moved and Danny was just miserable from not eating all day and having had surgery. Nurses came in every hour to check his vitals and every 3 hours we fed him tiny amounts of formula that just wet his appetite and left him screaming for more. By the next morning I looked and felt like death. About 9am the hospital chaplain wandered into my room. I think he was lost because neither of us were dying and don't you normally ask if you want to see a chaplain? Anyway, he tried to engage me in conversation and I tried to be evasive, hoping he wouldn't try and get me to go to church. Then he dropped a big one and said "are you his grandmother?" It was the first time in my life I've wanted to strangle a clergyman. I'm trying to tell myself he had bad eyesight but am thinking it's more likely that I looked like I hadn't slept for 5 weeks and had laid on a farting matress all night listening to my child crying.

So, we are now home and our boy is like a different baby altogether. He is eating and keeping it down. He is awake more and is producing wet nappies for the first time in his life. What a fantastic relief to get this sorted out.

Now all I need to do is find some miracle face cream that can take 10 years off ...

12 comments:

Mimi said...

Glad to hear Danny is doing better. I'm sure having this all behind you is a big relief. If you find that miracle cream, let me know.

Pam said...

Hi Mimi, Thanks for thinking of us. What are you up to?? Are you going to start a personal blog? I'd read it..

mountainear said...

I'm sure knowing that Danny's on the mend will be good for both of you. I'm glad his tummy was diagnosed and sorted out so quickly.

And if you do discover the miracle cream....please let on.

Mommy Daisy said...

Glad to hear the surgery and everything went well for Danny. I hope he's back to his old self soon.

I rememeber what it was like to stay ovenight in the hospital with a baby. When Zachariah was 6 weeks old, he was admitted for observation. We were there 2 days and 1 night. THE LONGEST night of my life! I slept less than an hour. Between the baby's normal wakings, then the nurses waking him all the time, then the wet/dirty diapers, and feeding him, it was exhausting. Glad we haven't had to do that again. And I totally know what you felt like.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Good to know that Danny's op is over and done with and he is making progress now. What a worry for you.

What a tactless clergyman, I hope his face was red. He must have had bad eyesight but hope you have now managed to catch up on some sleep. A x

Emily said...

Hi Pam! I'm so relieved that you are home and that Danny is doing so well. I can't believe that chaplain! How rude! It must've been the sleep deprivation, because please! I remember once that someone asked my mom if she was my sister's grandmother, and she was 33 when she had her - 33!! Give me a break!

Fredsueand me said...

hey Pam glad to hear danny is doing well, sounds stressful from beginning to end. thanks for the pic you sent he is gorgeous. by the way do you still get email from osu address, i got a out of the office return when i mailed you recently? take care love all the men in your life from us. x x

Ladybird World Mother said...

What a night for you... and how very dare that man ask whether you were the grandmother...! I have spent a night like you in hospital with my son... looked a hundred the next morning... glad I didnt see a chaplain... he would have asked if I was the great grandmother. Hope Danny continues to thrive. Hooray for wet nappies!

Oma Froehle said...

Hi, Pam. Geez, I missed all the excitement by not getting over here to read your blog all week.

Look out for Danny now! He will be catching up to David in gaining weight since his tummy is working right again.

As per the chaplain, the one thing I can assure you is that people say really stupid things sometimes. Was this a male chaplain? If so, men are a terrible judge of age; and they are also very good at sticking their feet in their mouths.

You should have said, "No, I'm his mother and I haven't slept more than 4 hours in a row for about six months. What's your excuse?"

Kelsey said...

I'm so glad that things are on the way to being all sorted out. I'm sorry for all the stress this situation has created for you.

And there is no way you look like a grandmother -sheesh!

Mimi said...

Hi, Pam, In reference to my starting a blog--I'm not sure of what I'd write. Everything I do is basically recorded on Jen's blog and she's much more creative than I. I do occassionally read some of her and your friend's blogs--Mountainear is an especially good writer. She makes me want to visit her for a chat.

Expat mum said...

Grandmother? God knows what he would say if he saw me with my five year old. Just ignore him and get the slap on as soon as you can. And great news that the babe is on the mend.