Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Mad but Magical Life

Years ago a work colleague told me that he would get home from work exhausted and his wife would meet him at the door holding the baby out to him and saying "okay, your turn". At the time I thought she must be selfish to ask her husband to take over baby duty when she'd had all day at home not 'working". Ha! What a fool I was. I have more sympathy for the wife now than I did. It's not that I don't love my kids, or begrudge spending time with them, or even get too stressed out taking care of them. It's that I have to have "me" time each day. Adult time. Quiet. Time to think. Time to ring another adult on the phone and have an adult conversation. If I'm honest I do feel a bit peeved that Craig gets to languish in adult time all day, while I spend all of my day entertaining and caring for children. He gets to drive alone in his car, listening to music and daydreaming while I spend my time in the car with a screaming baby that only stops crying if the car is in constant motion and a toddler that talks my ear off.

That is why, at 8pm tonight I ran from the house like an escaped convict and I drove to the local supermarket, even though we don't need anything. Time alone in the car. Ahhhhh. Time to meander around the food aisles looking aimlessly at tins and things. Ahhhhh. Quiet. That's all it took. An hour of QUIET and I'm back home, fully recharged.

And to really put things in perspective -----

Last night Jack watched Peter Pan for the first time. He sat on my knee and I had my arms wrapped around him. I got a sneaky hair-sniff and kiss in too, when he wasn't watching. Anyway, when Peter sprinkled Wendy and the boys with fairy dust so they could fly out of their bedroom window, Jack turned and looked at me pleadingly and said "I want to fly too mummy. Can I? Please?" and he really meant it. He truly believes in Peter Pan. It made me think that toddler hood is going to be much more magical than it is hard work.



6 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Those few moments to escape the house now and then are what get me through. And sometimes they happen less than once a week.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

"Me" time is important, grab it when you can and then you will enjoy the times with your arms around your boys even more! A x

MikeH said...

Good to get some "me" time, but that was a nice "awwww" moment with the toddler.

mountainear said...

I'm still in search of 'me' time. After many years bringing up the boys, A brought home a puppy and then he sold the business and retired...it's still an elusive dream.

I'd love an afternoon of toddler magic though.

Pam said...

MD: Once a week? If I were in town I'd come and kidnap you for a woman's hour each day.
Anne: That is so true. I'm a much better mum when I've had some space.
Mike: I love "Pond Parleys.blogspot.com" and will be nominating a subject this week. It was an "awwwww" moment, which is much better than the "arghhh" moments we usually have.
Mountainear: I read your blog and have to say that you sound like one contended woman, even with little "me" time.
I'll be calling on you in the future for advice on handling the two boys!

bluedaisy said...

Hey- I have read your blog on occassion and love the stories. I also have two boys! I recently started working full time & while I find working a little bit easier than being at home, I don't like taking my boys to daycare. Today I drove in by myself since my husband was home for the day. While I enjoyed the quiet ride, I felt a little bit lonely- I am so used to their chatter in the morning. But the me time thing- YES, whether you work at home or outside the home...YES, much needed!