Monday, March 02, 2009

Wish us Luck at the Hospital

Here's a picture of our lads taken this week. If you are wondering what happened to our Jack's face, it's amazing what happens to skin when you subject it to sub-freezing weather. Fresh air is wonderful but I do wish he was kept indoors a bit more at day care because trying to rub moisturizer on his face each day is like trying to bath a cat.

Danny had his 1 month check-up today and his second Hep B vaccine. Here are his statistics: Weight = 11 lb 9 oz, height = 22.75", and head = 38 cm. By comparison, Jack at this point weighed 10 lbs 15 oz, was 24.5 " tall and had a similarly large noggin at 39.5 cm. Basically, Danny is 2" shorter than Jack but weighs more, so he will inherit hand-me-down clothes that are a bit funky. Hopefully tight pants with turn-ups will be back in fashion by then!

The bad/good news today is that the doctor wants to send Danny to Children's Hospital to try and diagnose his manic spitting -up. He suspects it might be Pyloric stenosis so I am taking him for an ultrasound. If it is Pyloric stenosis, then he'll need minor surgery (the bad news) but at least it'll get sorted out and he'll be able to eat (the good news). This morning he ate half his milk, then threw the whole thing up and was so miserable he looked up at me and he had little tears running down his cheeks, which just breaks my heart.

Wish us luck please.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, poor baby boy! Good luck, let us know as soon as your hear!

I have a friend through MOMS Club whose little boy had this and had the surgery, he's a healthy chunk of a toddler now. So you're right, it would be nerve-wracking to go through the surgery, but at least that would hopefully solve the problem. I'm not sure which outcome to hope for?

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Oh poor little Danny - and it is heartbreaking to see tears! Do hope you get his problem sorted out soon Pam. Good luck with everything. Thinking of you. A x

Unknown said...

Hi Pam,

Danny's womderful, congrats to you and Craig. Sorry to hear about his early problem, though doesn't sound like a big issue-are they certain that it's not reflux? (Max suffered with it-throwing up after nearly every bottle)

Anyway, well done and best wishes for the coming months.

Love Dave, Nicky and Max
x

mountainear said...

Wishing you all the best luck in the world - one of our sons required a minor op and I pledged through my tears to make it better - what else does a mother wish for her child? At the time it was a major worry though.

Let us know how you get on.

Jack's a handsome lad - keep up with the moisturising regime, spring will be along soon.

Tillybud said...

Hi - I just saw your comment about the frogs on Strawberry Jam Anne's blog. It made me laugh out loud! Hope all goes well at the hospital.I've been a fair few times with my boy so I feel for you.

Expat mum said...

Ah bless. It's a bit early for that disgnosis isn't it? (What do I know). My neph had this for a while longer and then it stopped.

Pam said...

Emily: Keep us informed on the house front. How exciting!!!

Anne: Thanks for your thoughts. It's nice to think that people I met through blogging care about us.

Dave: Great to hear from you! I wonder how many kids are misdiagnosed as reflux & this particualr problem seem so much alike? The difference they say is that this problem causes projectile spewing but how many parents could truly tell the difference when you haven't seen it before? Hope Max is doing okay.

Mountainear: As mothers we have an amazing insight don't we. Everyone kept telling me that "babies spit up" and not to worry but I knew it was wrong. I pestered the Doc till we got that ultrasound. He called me at the hospital and said he felt bad - wanted to know if he could have caught it sooner.

Tillybud: Thanks for coming by! I love to read SJA's blog too.

Hi Expat: Yes, normally they first see it at 6-8 weeks because it doesn't show itself until then. I also think it's because they try other avenues first - change formula, get a better schedule, check for reflux etc. My boy showed signs of it after 1 week - no idea why.