Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cholesterol Medicine

I had a biometric screening* today at work, whereby they weighed me, checked my height & blood pressure and pricked my finger to determine if my cholesterol and blood sugar levels were all okay. And we talked about things and I lied as usual "yes I walk every day", and "err, about 3 alcohol units a week maybe at most".

I found out that I'm an inch shorter than I've been telling everyone for the last thirty years (5,8 not 5,9). And I heard again that I need to lose weight and exercise more. However, I did not get off to a good start because immediately after the screening I ran into a work friend and we went out for a Mexican lunch and we ate at least 3 baskets of tortilla chips with salsa before our food arrived. El Vaquero salsa is just the best - tomatoey and spicy with little chunks of onion and cilantro. Yum. Mexican food always comes loaded with cheese too which is a killer isn't it. But I digress.

On the good side, my blood sugar and cholesterol levels are great. Not just great but she said "perfect". So because it looks like it's only my weight that I need to work on, I got over excited and blabbed on about how much I'd like to eat more salad but don't have the time to fix meals (having young kiddies) and how it is very nice indeed to drink red wine after a long stressful day. And she said hold on! And I thought, ah nuts I'm in for it now. She said - that explains your great cholesterol numbers! - people that drink wine usually have great cholesterol. So there you have it folks. My tipple on an evening shall from this point hence be known as my cholesterol medicine.


*If I have a biometric screening voluntarily each year, I get a $ discount each month on my health insurance payment, so it's a no-brainer.

No comments: