Saturday, April 03, 2010

Happy Easter!

We took the kids to an egg hunt and duck parade this morning. Craig and I were up making duck outfits last night out of paper bags and coloured card and glue (aren't we a pair of sad gits). At the hunt there must have been 1,000 people there and when they gave the go-ahead, hundreds of kids ran over the meadow, grabbing as many plastic eggs as their Easter baskets would hold. My poor lad Jack only got one egg (he was too shy to run & grab) and some little kids didn't get any eggs at all. I saw at least two toddlers breaking their hearts crying, swinging their empty baskets. Bless.

Afterwards we did a duck parade where the kids, all dressed up, paraded out to the main road and did a loop back to the library. My favourite bit was the policeman directing the parade, blowing his whistle and shouting, "Ducks crossing! Give way to the ducks please". It was very cute. Danny was a bit traumatized by his outfit but soon bucked up once he played in the inflatable pool full of water & rubber ducks.

This is one of the main things I love about America. How every holiday is celebrated with gusto and with a view to making it the most fun for kids. 

Tonight we had our friends & their new baby over for dinner and I think I redeemed myself after our kids went nuts at their house. They brought wonderful German beer and we had a good time sat outside on the patio while lawn mowers were humming along and the sun set. They are relatively new friends but so easy to get along with.

So now I'm blogging and soon to start getting the front room ready for painting. That's my project and it will be the 4th time in 5 years I've done it. Past colors have included taupe (too morbid), lilac (too clinical), gold (too Liberace) and now dark red. Hopefully not too much like a dungeon when I've finished.  I wish I had decorating style, I really do.

No comments: