Saturday, August 14, 2010

Everything Elizabethan

We've been watching a lot about the history of the English monarchy lately and I'm really interested in Elizabeth 1. If she was the queen in 2010 I'd be wearing her t-shirts and buying her royal decrees and doing my hair all crazy and orange. I like her that much.

She was born to a beautiful mother, Ann Boleyn, who was beheaded by her father, Henry Vlll. Elizabeth was later imprisoned by her catholic sister, Queen Mary 1, until Mary died. Then finally Elizabeth got the throne. And what a fantastic historical time for England. She was a protestant queen, surrounded by European countries and half of England being catholic. She was the first feminist, so strong and clever. During her reign there was Sir Walter Raleigh's discovery of the new world (America) and the creation of the first colony, Virginia, named after her, the virgin queen. He brought tobacco and potatoes. And Sir Francis Drake ruled the seas. And one of the greatest naval battles in history took place in 1588, the defeat of the Spanish Armada by fire ships. That's Craig's favourite bit - the naval battle strategies.

I could kick myself that I didn't embrace English history in school because it is absolutely fascinating. I'll have to spend the rest of my days catching up.

This is a clip from The Tudors Series 2, when Anne was beheaded. I cried my eyes out at this scene . I'm not going to apologize for it. I'm female. I like a good cry now & again.


No comments: