Monday, August 16, 2010

Our Ivory Anniversary

Today is our 14th wedding anniversary. That's the "ivory" anniversary, so Craig bought me a darling pair of ivory earrings. I'm kidding of course. We went to the zoo yesterday and said hello to the elephants and got a nice little statue of one, to mark the occasion.

So, what have we done with ourselves for the last fourteen years? Well rather a lot actually. We've emigrated to America, had two kids, bought and renovated two houses, raised three animals, and travelled across nearly 30 states. Along the way we have advanced our careers and made new friends. I'd like to say we've also made a ton of money but that would be completely untrue. Still, when you look at what we've accomplished and how healthy everyone is, I think that's worth more than money.

I hate to do a big gushy posting about my wonderful marriage but I want to just acknowledge it, today of all days. Craig is my best friend and an absolutely fabulous dad. He's a man's man that loves to canoe and fish and hunt and build things. He's a wonderful cook and an incredible fixer& maker of things. Lately, he's made big sturdy wooden storage shelves in the garage, replaced windows, and renovated a bathroom - just in the last couple of months! I am completely useless by comparison and can't cook to save my life. But that's why we get along. He cooks, I clean. He builds things, I tidy up after him. He takes the boys fishing, I cut their nails. One task we do share is the bedtime routine for the kids. We rotate every single night and have since they were born. Sometimes we'll wrangle over who has to do it (let's be honest here folks, sometimes bedtime can be a chore) but we see parenting as a joint venture and we back each other up.
Are you barfing yet? Does sound a bit too good to be true doesn't it. We do fight of course and there's been many a day where we've both huffed off to work after giving each other the evil eye. But I'd say that's normal - right?
So anyway, Happy Anniversary Craig. I hope we are celebrating our next 14 feeling as lucky as we do today.

No comments: