Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bowl-heads from outer-space

As a mother I continue to have preconceived ideas about how I will raise Jack and they all seem to fall off to the wayside as I realise that they were not just a tad naive but sometimes all for the wrong reasons. I'll explain myself a bit better..

When I was expecting, I was adamant that no doctor was going to bully me into a C-section. Even when my great doctor told me Jack was too big, I told all who would listen that I wanted to go "naturally" with as few drugs as possible. As it turned out, the C-section was a great experience. If we do this again? C-section and drugs all the way baby!

I was also set on breast-feeding (male readers - sorry if that's too much information) and I did so half-heartedly because the pressure to do it is huge. Even when I was sat on my bed, pumping (talk about a humbling experience) and crying with bleeding boobs and the baby-blues, I persevered. Next time? I might breastfeed, I might not. I now realise it's my choice and heaven help the busy-body who tells me different.

I also had preconceived ideas about how I would raise Jack - he would eat organic food, no juice or pop, strict bedtimes, and no tv. As you can see from the picture, one of those rules has , erm, gone by the wayside too. The tv is just so NICE when I need just a minute or two to not have to entertain him. I love playing with him but after several hours of entertaining I grab the remote, bring on "Noggin" and he'll maybe sit just long enough for me to have a cup of tea and relax for 5 minutes.

The only downside to this is that I have to watch it too and some of those presenters act like they come from another planet. And wherever that planet is, they all get bowl-head haircuts.

1 comment:

Silk said...

relax girl and enjoy Jack..years ago, and i mean years ago when my boys were babes, there was a book out dedicated to new moms,(both boys were adopted), anyway.. the first page of the book sounded just like you, at the bottom of the page was a statment i remember to this day..and it said
"and now my 3rd child at 3 years old still has his orginal belly button FLUFF..just do what makes you both happy..silk