Thursday, November 08, 2007

Car Conundrum

I have a car dilemma. I bought this 2001 Ford Escape in Oct 05 and I finish paying for it Oct 08. It's got 107 k miles on it.
It needs an oil change & new shocks. Craig just fixed the brake booster. Yesterday morning I saw gray smoke coming out of the exhaust. I tried to convince myself it was steam as it was bloody cold but when I got a mouth full of it realised my engine's probably burning oil.

Here's my dilemma - I REALLY wanted to get this car paid off and have 1 or even 2 years without a car payment so we can pay off some debt and try to save some money. Craig says I should trade it in now before the transmition goes, as Escapes are apparantly known for it and once it goes I'll get nothing for it.

Do I trade in or do I take the risk & try and keep it going?

2 comments:

Fredsueand me said...

trade it it sounds dodgy, if it goes your screwed and a new car will cost you more in the long run, iam not advocating debt because iam trying to do the same thing with my car, its paid for now and iam gonna run it until it throws a enormous bill my way then trade. cars are just money pits, unless you run an old banger that's cheap to fix there's no way round it i reckon.

Gina B said...

if you really think it is on its last legs.. trade it in before you get stuck getting NOTHING out of it.. please talk to matt and have him help you.. i can't tell you enough times that he will help fix the problems!