Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Quest for Kathy & Heathcliff

My new Wuthering Heights dvd arrived today courtesy of Amazon.com and a moment of spending weakness on my behalf. I LOVE this story and have read the book by Emily Bronte several times, probably inherited the fascination from my older sister Jenny who would go back and switch places with the heroine Kathy if they ever invent a time machine.

Since the first 1939 film with Sir Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff, I have seen several film versions that rate from bad to painful. The most recent being a Hollywood offering where Kathy & Heathcliff were actually spoiled teenagers living in Orange County and both surfing dudes. Even the version with Ralph Fiennes as a credible Heathcliff, Kathy was played by Juliette Binoche (who's French) so every time Kathy was supposed to talk in her burly & rough native Yorkshire accent, she sounded more like a pussy cat purring. In others words, I'm always looking for films because I'm desperate for one of them to do the book justice

Getting it right would be no easy task, The book spans 3 generations and two families, which is complicated enough, but the thing no one has captured yet is the powerful, raw and sometimes evil love affair between Kathy & Heathcliff.

We're going to England soon and I'm going to take Craig to "Bronte Country" to a village called Howarth where the Bronte sisters lived in the old parsonage. It's a gorgeous, quaint little village in the moors. The old church still has stocks outside! I'm also going to drag my sister along so she can finally take me to Top Withens (picture above), which is supposedly the inspiration for the Earnsaw family farmhouse, called "Wuthering Heights".

Okay, I'm off to load up my dvd player, with bated breath....

No comments: