Sunday, March 02, 2008

Top Tip, Fireplace Update, Oh and Leeks

Here's my "Top Tip" - At the baby shower last week, at least two women told me how absolutely marvelous Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponges were, I mean to the point of gushing about them and saying they were just amazing at what they could shift - pens marks on walls, scuff marks etc. So, I bought some and I have to be equally gushy and tell you all to buy them, boxes of them, because they are truly incredible! As much as Craig is obsessed with seeing what things will burn in the fire, or what food he can shove down the waste disposal unit, I have been equally experimental this weekend and what grime and scuffs and marks I can get off walls and doors. Everytime I got one clean I would exclaim "wow, Craig, this sponge is amazing!" You wouldn't think I had a life sometimes would you.


So here's what the fireplace looked like 2 weeks ago


Then last week Craig ripped out the screen door and covered the brick in tile board...


and covered it in ceramic tile! We are very happy with the results so far. And much as a real wood fire is quaint and romantic it's actually a royal pain in the arse to clean, so we are installing a gas log fire and our new pewter fireplace screen arrives on the 24th - so final pictures will be posted then. My husband is so talented and has worked really hard this week getting it done.

Finally, in honor of St. David's Day on Saturday, I wanted to make leek & potato soup so went to the supermarket only to discover that they don't sell leeks. Can American friends tell me - is it just my store or are there no leeks to be found in America?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Not sure what grocery you checked, but Meijer usually has a big produce department. They carry jicama which is a lot more "exotic" than leeks. Hope that helps!