Monday, August 18, 2008

Kidron: Worth a Visit

Last week, while at a work meeting, a colleague suggested I take a detour on the way home & visit Kidron, where each Thursday the Amish people gather at the local auction house to trade their wares. It was such a great place to visit that I had to post a few pictures.
My absolute favourite is people-watching. There was a little blonde boy about Jack's age, in his straw hat and cloth trousers and barefoot. I couldn't stop staring at him, wondering how his life is and how much it differed from Jack's.

The Amish buggies, all lined up at the auction house.

Inside the auction house. I find the auctioneers fascinating and have no idea what they are saying, although every now and again I heard the word 'cow", I think.


Although these kids are all shoed-up, most of the Amish kids we saw were barefoot and it took me back to my childhood. At every given moment in the summer, I'd be racing around with bare feet, all dusty and dirty. Even now, when I garden I don't wear shoes and I love the feel of cool grass under my feet.

2 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I suppose most of us would find the Amish people fascinating and I certainly feel that they have probably 'got something' in that they lead the simpler life. Thanks for sharing that Pam. A x

Jen said...

I love anything Amish...we even honeymooned in Amish country (Berlin, OH) 10 years ago on 9/5. My favorite are Amish fiction books written by Beverly Lewis. I've always thought it would be fun to "be" Amish for a bit...not sure how long I could go without my computer and reality t.v. though. =)