La Vie Boheme

My 15-year old niece in England has swine flu, which I found out about via Facebook. She's a typical resilient teenager and laughs it off as a bit of a sniffle, take a few tablets and you're fine. She's more upset she can't go to Alton Towers with her school mates. Scared me to death there for a minute but she seems okay. 

I remember being 15 and thinking I was invincible. I'd do all sorts of stupid stuff and take chances I'd never take now. Memories come to mind of riding on motorbikes without a helmet and setting off to visit someone 300 miles away in a clapped-out car with only 10 pound on me for petrol and a pint of oil to replace the amount that got burnt. Car breakdown service was not something I could afford and we didn't have cell phones. I'd walk 3 miles home from a nightclub on my own at 2am and not think anything of it, which makes me cringe now.

Come to think of it, I was a bit dumb until I was in my 30's. In fact, now I really think about it, I still think I'm going to live forever and continue to burn the candle at both ends. If I was smart I'd stop drinking, exercise more, and save for my retirement but it's far more likely that I will keep drinking, continue to ignore my gym membership and hope I win the lottery.  My lust for life is too strong, my desire to travel and meet people and do new things has not diminished with age. Does it ever I wonder?

As they say in Rent "La Vie Boheme!"

Comments

Clippy Mat said…
ah to be young and 'invincible' again. my daughter in england has symptoms of swine flu and is being treated with the anti-viral. scary!
stay safe :-)

Popular Posts