Wednesday, July 22, 2009

La Vie Boheme

My 15-year old niece in England has swine flu, which I found out about via Facebook. She's a typical resilient teenager and laughs it off as a bit of a sniffle, take a few tablets and you're fine. She's more upset she can't go to Alton Towers with her school mates. Scared me to death there for a minute but she seems okay. 

I remember being 15 and thinking I was invincible. I'd do all sorts of stupid stuff and take chances I'd never take now. Memories come to mind of riding on motorbikes without a helmet and setting off to visit someone 300 miles away in a clapped-out car with only 10 pound on me for petrol and a pint of oil to replace the amount that got burnt. Car breakdown service was not something I could afford and we didn't have cell phones. I'd walk 3 miles home from a nightclub on my own at 2am and not think anything of it, which makes me cringe now.

Come to think of it, I was a bit dumb until I was in my 30's. In fact, now I really think about it, I still think I'm going to live forever and continue to burn the candle at both ends. If I was smart I'd stop drinking, exercise more, and save for my retirement but it's far more likely that I will keep drinking, continue to ignore my gym membership and hope I win the lottery.  My lust for life is too strong, my desire to travel and meet people and do new things has not diminished with age. Does it ever I wonder?

As they say in Rent "La Vie Boheme!"

1 comment:

Clippy Mat said...

ah to be young and 'invincible' again. my daughter in england has symptoms of swine flu and is being treated with the anti-viral. scary!
stay safe :-)