Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Getting in on the Action

A friend came to see me today to talk about her pregnancy and have a little rant. She's 33 weeks along and due mid-February. Her problem is, her mother-in-law wants to be involved every step of the way and this past weekend my friend got strict instructions to call her when they are on the way to the hospital so that she can jump in the car and be there during labor & delivery. My friends wants to be on her own with her hubby during L&D and to call her in-laws once they have bonded with baby and settled in the hospital room. Her husband doesn't want to upset his mum so is trying to avoid all eye contact with both women. What a conundrum to have - enjoy your big day and upset your in-laws, or be pissed off on the big day when they take it over. 

It reminded me of a story I heard when I was pregnant. I used to go on this forum for women expecting in the same month - we all chatted and shared horror stories about gyno visits and bodily functions and chosen baby names. A girl came on the forum one day terribly upset that her sister-in-law had really stuck the knife in. The SIL wanted to be involved in the birth and when she was told no it got ugly. About a month before the baby was born the SIL bought a dog and gave it the same name this girl had chosen for her new baby.  It it wasn't so obnoxious it would be funny.  I told her to buy a pet rat and name it after her SIL.


2 comments:

Clippy Mat said...

i used to have a wealth of mother in law stories and loved to dish them with my friends.
unitl i became a mother in law.
then i saw it differently.
ouch.
wish i could take a few things back.
;-)

Pam said...

Clippy, OHHHH, I told my friend the same thing today. One day we will be nanas/mother-in-laws and I hope my daughter in law treats me kindly. It's a delicate relationship! Happy New Year Friend. X