Monday, July 12, 2010

Organise & De-Plastic!

This weekend I attempted to de-clutter and organise my life a bit better since the minefield of plastic crap is taking over my house. Seriously, where does all this plastic stuff come from? Cars, trains, balls, animals, musical instruments, slinkies, bats, golf clubs, phones, keys, tubs of play-doh. I'm amazed I'm not dead the amount of times I've stood on one of these things and done a flying leap. And falling over at 41 years old is nothing like falling over at 20. Now I have to put my head between my knees to stop from passing out and it takes me a while to get back up.

I've been secretly chucking stuff away while Jack sleeps or giving it to charity. He has the memory of an elephant though and will ask about some random toy he's not played with for 6 months. "Moma, where's my small ball that turns into a car?". I should respond that after the 10th time of fishing it out of his brothers throat, I threw it away, but I say vaguely 'Mmm, not sure love, wherever you left it" and do a quick retreat.

I did find a nice (though plastic) toy-box on Craig's List but had a bugger of a time actually storing toys in it:

One of my other worries with all this plastic rubbish is the scare about lead in the paint (since Danny chews on everything) and the fact that most plastics contain BPAs. Even baby bottles and cups! So I'm going to try and get rid of some plastic toys and only buy BPA-free cups from now on. I might be over-reacting but when I hear terms like ADHD and cancer my mummy gene kicks in.

No comments: