Monday, July 05, 2010

Two New Books: Oscar & Ozzy

I just read two books.

The first was Making Rounds with Oscar, which I wanted to read after losing Frank. I'm still taking those big deep breaths when I think of him and I'll totter down to his spot in the garden and say hello when I'm brave. I saw Craig go down there tonight to do the same as I spied him from the fence and had a little cry ... Anyway, it was a great book and I can say that I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know about cats (the author knew nothing about feline characters) but I learnt a lot about Alzheimer's disease. And holy cow it frightened me. A good book though and 3/5 from me.

Next, I got a book out of the library for Craig but he was too busy so I read I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne. I read two pages and immediately went out and bought a copy for my dad for his birthday, because he likes a laugh too. I just finished mine last night and I loved it.

I was never into Black Sabbath and only really got to know Ozzy through The Osbournes. Craig was into Black Sabbath 25 years ago, so he just looks at me funny and nods when I try and tell him something from the book. Anyway, I'm sure some of you think Ozzy was a waster and an idiot but I'll tell you this. Ozzy Osbourne was born a working class man that made it to a multi-millionaire. He has tons of friends and a family that love him. He's a character, he's funny and loving and, most important in this book, honest as the day is long. I wish there were more people in the world like Ozzy, instead of the plastic, anal people you meet that want to look perfect all the time, while behind closed doors it's a train wreck.

So, I am now trying to catch up on his songs. I always thought I didn't like heavy rock. Thought it was a bunch of 40-year old single men living in their mum's basement screaming into a microphone. Turns out that's "thrash metal". Who knew.

So, here's my favourite Ozzy song "Paranoid" when he was with Black Sabbath.

And I give the book a huge 5 out of 5, with big drunken bells on the end.


No comments: