Friday, November 28, 2008

My First Black Friday

For the first time in 9 years, I got up at 4.45am this morning and ventured out to get the door buster deals of Black Friday. 

The stores in my neighbourhood were thankfully not as nuts as other states, where a Wal-Mart employee got trampled to death, two people got shot dead at Toys R'Us and a pregnant woman got thrown to the ground. I did go to a local Wal-Mart but people were surprisingly cordial & self-contained. No pushing, shoving, running and grabbing of merchandise that you read about, which is good because I'm a bit too rotund now to stick up for myself and if someone had pushed me to the ground there's a very good chance I would have been weeble-like until a kind soul helped me back up. 

I got to my first shop early enough that I could have got one of the 42" plasma flat-screen TVs for just $499. We had talked about it yesterday and decided to stick with our old telly until next year, save the cash and get one then. Still, when I saw it sat there (the last one) and I knew what a tremendous bargain it was I was tempted to ring Craig and make the case for getting it. As I thought about it, I patted my pocket and realised I'd left my phone in the car, which felt like fate, so I turned my back on the lovely plasma and went to look at kitchen knife sets. Far more handy don't you think?

No comments: