Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sponsored Walk & a Scary Storm

Jack's sponsored walk on Friday was great. I loved volunteering and he had a great time. They raised about $3,000 for their school. Marvelous stuff.


It's been a scorcher of a weekend - high 70's and sunny. Tonight we had a horrible storm though that frightened me to death on several counts. First of all, the tornado sirens were going off and the local weather guys were saying seek shelter and showing videos of black, angry-looking clouds that were rotating. I have a tremendous fear of tornadoes and even have tornado dreams at least once a month (I've had them for years). We got the boys & dogs into the basement and I tried not to freak the kids out. I came upstairs to get something (what?) and was totally lost. I mean I couldn't even get my thoughts together. I went back downstairs with laptops, iPad and my purse. I could have taken useful things like glasses, shoes, bike helmets for the kids and blankets but my mind had completely gone. That's not good huh.

Then it rained SO HARD that the storm drains couldn't keep up and the road outside our house flooded in minutes and water started creeping towards our house. This picture is taken about 30 feet away from our basement door. I have never seen rain so hard. As soon as he could, Craig ran out with some neighbours and frantically cleared storm drains to stop it coming further. This was all the while lightning & thunder was over-head.


Rounds 3 and 4 brought more rain and hail.

All through this storm, the sky was black and red and white and blue and at one point there was a rainbow at the same time the tornado sirens going off (Craig got a video which I'll try and post later).

Now all is calm but I'm on tender hooks as my ultimate fear is a tornado hitting at night. I am normally such a brave soul but tornadoes just cripple me (I don't think the recent tornadoes in Joplin and Henryville have helped my cause). Maybe a cold one and some telly will help. We have friends who enjoy storms like tonight and sit on their porch with a beer and enjoy it. I am definitely not one of them!

No comments: